*Gasp* She Did What?
Yep, you read that right. I went makeup free for an entire 2 WEEKS + I lived to tell the story. How? Why?
If you’ve been following me for a while you know that a couple of years ago I experienced a bad breakout that I couldn’t get rid of. After battling the blemishes for about a year, I finally got them to go away. However, my battle with acne left behind some unpleasant scars. Recently, I have been battling with my acne a little bit again, as well as some redness, and uneven texture. *yikes* My skin just hasn’t been looking its best so I decided to do a little experiment and here’s what I found!
Going Makeup Free Allowed my Skin to Breathe + Heal on It’s Own
- Wearing makeup every single day is hard on your skin. It clogs your pores + you sweat and touch your face so much throughout the day that the combination makes your skin cry in the form of blemishes.
- I realized I was wearing some makeup that had expired. I couldn’t figure out why I had been breaking out on my hairline and jawline so much! Once I stopped wearing makeup they went away immediately, so I turned to my makeup drawer. Turns out my bronzer had been expired for 4 months. Yikes, Rach.
- Treat your skin! Not only did I stop wearing makeup, but I gave my skin a little bit more love every night before bed with a face mask! Really loving this Shea Moisture Clarifying Mud Mask right now! Hydrating, balancing, and treats my blemishes. Con: Smells like play-doh.
- Make sure your makeup is good quality + not made with harsh ingredients. Specifically stay away from parabens, polyethylene, sodium lauryl sulfate, BHA, oxybenzone, polyethylene, retinol (only to be used in night time skincare!) I actually quit using foundation altogether and am now using a CC Cream with SPF that I love! Having clearer skin means I don’t feel like I have as much to cover.
- Take your makeup off before you go to the gym. I used to be so bad about this! I didn’t realize that all of that sweat was getting my makeup clogged in my pores. I’ve been using the Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm to get my makeup off. SO much better than the Neutrogena wipes because this product literally melts the makeup off your face. $30 may sound like a high price tag, but this jar lasts me at least 2 months. Way better value than the wipes + is actually a money saver + all around better product. My skin is very sensitive and the Neutrogena wipes irritated my skin so much.
- Take your makeup off before bed! I can’t sleep with makeup on because I feel so uncomfortable, but I know several people who slept with their makeup on and couldn’t understand why they kept breaking out. Take your makeup off and invest in an anti-aging night time skincare routine! Not only will your skin clear up, but you’ll be surprised at how much more relaxed you feel just by pampering yourself a little bit before bed! I just started using this Willing Beauty skincare system + am in literal love. More deets to come on that in a later post! Treat yo-self. Treat yo-skin.
Now I regularly go without makeup! My skin is much healthier + anytime I experience a blemish I let it breathe for a couple of days instead of trying to cover it up. Also lovinI stick to wearing my CC cream instead of foundation, and still feel that I get desired coverage, without feeling cakey!
Do you like to go makeup free?